Tuesday, July 5, 2011

First big trip

I can't tell you how many people told me I was crazy for wanting to ride the 400 from Hamilton, Ontario to Ottawa, Ontario. All I can tell you is they were all wrong!

Sure, I bet it would have been more comfortable on a 750 or a 1200 but I can honestly say that the 400 GS handled all 1000kms with no problems and I loved every second of it.

I had a wedding to attend over the Canada Day long weekend so I decided to map out a route and have my first adventure on the bike. Up to this point the longest trip I'd done on the bike was about a 2 hour ride to go camping one weekend. This trip was going to be a good 1000km round trip. About 7 hours there and 7 hours back if I stuck to all the back roads, a little shorter if I decided to hit the major highways.

Before leaving I made sure my chain was lubed up, plugs were good, oil was good, and all my lights and signals were working. I packed a few wrenches, spare plugs, chain lube, and most importantly a small spray bottle full of Windex and a cloth to clean the bugs off my visor. Strapped my bag down to the back seat and off I went.


Here was the route I ended up taking out there. A major traffic jam forced me off the 401 a little earlier than I would have liked but being on an air cooled 25 year old bike I didn't want to take any chances of overheating. Needless to say this ride was much more scenic and I made many stops in a lot of neat little towns along the way.

Looking forward to my next trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment